Monday, February 21, 2011

What's in a Name

A few years back, an email came across my desk about a friend of a friend in my office that had a student named Le-a. Not pronounced Lay-uh or Lee-Uh but Ledasha (turns out it was a goof email that was making the rounds on the internet). Fast forward three years, and although no names has reached Ledashian levels, they still continue to amaze.

In what will be a recurring topic, these will be real names that come into my office. I will only be able to post first names because of privacy laws and I will also omit people whose names appear to be derived from foreign languages (Xiu may look weird to me but it might be the Chinese equivalent to Bill) Other than that, these are the exact spelling and punctuation used in students names.

So here we go...

Porschea
Shauntecka
Concepcion
Raevn
Demontrion
Johnteria
Dwaun
Kei"ara
She"kela

The irony of the last two names is that both came into my office maybe an hour apart and up until that point I had never seen a single word with double apostrophes, let alone someones name. Makes me wonder what they are hiding to require the extra punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment