Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The time is now...

I am not exactly what you would call a "man of action." I've only attended two rally's in my life, I've never protested anything (unless you count the time I found a discarded placard near the state capital after a heavy night of drinking) nor have I ever written a strongly worded letter. Now though, I have found an issue that is affecting about 75% of the students who walk through my office doors. No its not poverty, lack of health care or even the obvious crimes of fashion. Its something far more tragic. I am talking about the definition and application of the word "estimated."

Student - Now for this estimated graduation date, should I put like, 2011 in there?

Me - Do you plan on graduating in 2011?

S - Well, no.

M - Okay, well then you would put the year you plan on graduating.

S - Oh ok.

M - ...


As you some of you might have read, this is not the first dialog I have posted regarding the complexities of the word. These only represent a small fraction of students who struggle with the word. In the few short months that I have worked here, it has become clear there is a gaping hole in the education system. I fear that my little office is but a microcosm. I'm willing to assume that drivers here are so terrible because they are unable to estimate two car length's or what is a safe stopping distance. That perhaps the obesity levels are skewed by doctors asking patients to estimate their height and weight. How many carnival prizes have gone unclaimed because no one was sure what to do with the jar of beans?

Well no more folk's. I am taking a stand. As much as I can from my office chair.

Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment